Having a hard time picking a topic for a
CULTURAL ARTIFACT SPEECH ???
CULTURE??? WHAT IS MY CULTURE ???
I love culture speeches because they show me a snapshot of my students. There are several ways to decide what you should talk about - pretend there is a fire in your home. You have a limited amount of time and can only grab three or four things. What would you grab? Why did you choose those things? How are they important to you? Another way to help you focus on a topic is to pretend I'm coming to visit you. What would you show me about your world? What would you want me to see?
Remember culture is NOT tied to ethnicity!! You can talk about your ethnicity IF it is important you. If it isn't part of your daily life - then skip it. Do something that matters to you!! Also remember this isn't something that ONLY you do, it is something that is shared. Culture loosely defined includes norms or a language or music or food or clothing but no matter how you slice it - it is not a SOLO event. There should be some connection with others.
IDEAS Other students have used....
1. Christmas stockings made by her grandmother
2. Championship trophy from high school basketball game
3. Hmong New Year costume
4. Fudge and goodies the family makes every Christmas
5. Family Bible
6. Lucky baseball mitt
7. Family pictures
8. Cell phone
9. First toe shoes
10. Madden Playstation game
11. Son's Soccer uniform
12. Pregnant onion - grandmother taught him to garden
16. Pottery from Mexico
17. Dr. Seuss books
18. Favorite stuffed animal (talked about security and friendship)
19. Football jersey
21. Waterpolo parka
22. Work uniform (Savemart)
23. Photo of an uncle who inspired his community and her!
24. Fiddle and country (hillbilly) clothes :)
25. Casino chips and photos of Reno (his hometown)
26. Photo of a baby girl (his niece and how she has changed his life)
27. Scripts (drama student)
28. Music & pictures of bullfights in Portugal
29. Vegetarian food pyramid
30. FFA vest
31. Art work done by her!
32. Magazines on motorcycles
33. Swim Cap (she was on the swim team)
34. Gym card (she loved to work out)
35 Rope, hat and spurs (a real live cowboy!)
36. Video of him playing piano (wonderful)
37. Wedding memory box
38. Baseball mitt
39. Played his guitar
40. Music and Sweet Bread (delicious!)
41. Beautician scissors and poster of hair cuts
42. CD case full of music
43. Red Belt (Karate)
44. HOME MADE Tortillas (they were still warm!)
45. Egg rolls (they smelled as good as they tasted)
46. Flag from his country
47. Oakland Raider stuff
48. Dance costumes
49. Fraternity plaque
50. Tennis racquet
RETURN TO SPEECH IDEAS MAIN PAGE