LUBO LIU Ph.D., PE
Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Geomatics Engineering, California State University Fresno, Email: LLubo@csufresno.edu; Phone: 559-278-5634
Office : 2320
E. San Ramon Avenue
Fresno CA 93740-8030EE 130
Water Resources/Environmental Engineering/Hydraulic Engineering/Coastal Engineering
My particular research interests include reactive transport and fate of contaminants in surface water and groundwater, environmental process modeling, environmental and geophysical fluid dynamics including limnological and riverine hydrodynamics, bioremediation, subsurface characterization. The focus of my current research is on understanding near-shore processes and the transport of pathogens in the environment. I am particularly interested in integrating laboratory and field-scale observations with high resolution numerical modeling to explore the relevant processes and parameters. I am also developing improved methods for reactive transport modeling as well as models for surface water – groundwater interactions. My research is multi-disciplinary in nature and often involves interactions with microbiologists, geographers, chemists and mathematicians.
Dissertation: Mathematical Modeling of Encapsulated Buffer Performance in Controlling pH during Remediation of Groundwater
Thesis: Two-dimensional Hydrodynamic Modeling of Flow and Suspended Sediment Transport in the Neighborhood of the Dam for the Three Gorges Project (TGP) during the Period of Cofferdam Closure in Yangtze River (also as one of the primary engineering reports for TGP in 1998)
B. S., Hydraulic Engineering
CE110 Computer Application in Civil Engineering (CSUF)
CE 128 Civil Engineering Hydraulics (CSUF)
CE 142 Environmental Engineering (CSUF)
CWR4120 Groundwater Hydrology (FSU)
ENV4001 Environmental Engineering (FSU)
CWR 3201 Hydraulics (FSU)
CWR 3201L Hydraulics Lab (FSU)
CWR 4202 Hydraulic Engineering I (FSU)
CWR 4120 Groundwater Hydrology (FSU)
ENV 4001 Environmental Engineering (FSU)
EES 3040 Introduction to Environmental Engineering and Science (FSU)
EES 3040L Introduction to Environmental Engineering and Science Lab (FSU)
Fluid Mechanics (Tsinghua University, China)
· Lubo Liu, Mantha S. Phanikumar, Stephanie L. Molloy, Richard L. Whitman, Dawn A. Shively, Meredith B. Nevers, David J. Schwab, and Joan B. Rose (2006), "Modeling the Transport and Inactivation of E. coli and Enterococci in the Near-Shore Region of Lake Michigan", Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 40 (16), pp 5022-5028.
· Lubo Liu, Joseph R.V. Flora, and C. Marjorie Aelion (2004), “Theoretical Analysis of the Influence of Process Parameters on the Use of an Encapsulated Phosphate Buffer to Control pH in a Soil Column”, Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A - Toxic/Hazardous Substances and Environmental Engineering, Vol. A39 (1), pp 35 - 59.
· Ramesh K. Goel, Lubo Liu, Joseph R. V. Flora, Michael E. Meadows, and Walter G. Irwin (2003), “Modeling and Comparison of Electrolytic Aeration and ORC® Aeration of Anoxic Groundwater in a Simulated Laboratory Aquifer”, Environmental Engineering Science, Vol. 20 (6), pp 677 – 691.
· Lubo Liu, Christine M. Rust, Joseph R.V. Flora, and C. Marjorie Aelion (2002), “Mathematical Modeling of Encapsulated Buffer Performance in Sand Columns”, Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE, 128 (12), pp 1128-1138.
Wang G.Q, and Ran Qihua (1998),
“Numerical Simulation of River Flow During Cut-off Procedure of
· Wang, G.Q, Ran Qihua, and Lubo Liu (1998),”Computer Simulation of Evolution of Wind-blown Ripples”, Journal of Sediment Research, Vol. 3, pp 1-6.
· Wang, G.Q, Hougui Zhou, and Lubo Liu (1997), ”Stability Analysis of Cofferdam Slump and Its Application in the Cutoff of Three Gorges Project.” International Journal of Sediment Research, vol. 12 (3), pp 139-154.
· C.P. Shen, L. Liu, M. S. Phanikumar, S.Singh, and J.B. Rose, Hydrological model of the Fate and Transport of Pathogens in the Grand River, Michigan Watershed, IAGLR 2006 Great Lakes in a Changing Environment, Windsor, Ontario (2006)
· Lubo Liu, S.L. Molloy, M.S. Phanikumar and J.B. Rose, Modeling the Fate and Transport of Fecal contaminants in near-shore area of the Trial Creek, Southern Lake Michigan, State of Lake Michigan 2005/Great Lakes Beach Association 5th Annual Meeting, Green Bay, Wisconsin (2005)
· J.B. Rose, S.L. Molloy, L. Liu, T.M. Jenkins, M. Wong, T.T. Fong, R.L. Whitman, D.A. Shively, M.B. Nevers, and M.S. Phanikumar, Characterization of Fecal Pollution and Human Health Risks in the Waters of the Great Lakes, Estuarine Interactions: Biological-Physical Feedbacks and Adaptations, Estuarine Research Federation (ERF 2005) Conference, Norfolk, Virginia (2005)
· S.L. Molloy, L. Liu, M.S. Phanikumar, T.M. Jenkins, M. Wong, R.L. Whitman, D.A. Shively, M.B. Nevers, and J.B. Rose, The Presence and Near-Shore Transport of Human Fecal Pollution in Lake Michigan Beaches, Marine Technology Society (MTS) and IEEE Oceans 2005 Conference, Washington, D.C. (2005)
· J.R.V. Flora, C.M. Aelion, B. Baker, L. Liu, D. Wybenga, Manufacture and Testing of Macroencapsulated Buffers for pH Control, The First International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology, New Orleans, Louisiana (2005).
· Vijay Atluri, Kirk Barrett, Francisco Artigas, Soon Chun, Lubo Liu, Secure Agency Interoperation for Effective Data Mining in Border Control and Homeland Security Applications, State of New Jersey Symposium on Homeland Security Research, October 29, 2003, Busch Campus Center, Rutgers University
· Vijay Atluri, Kirk Barrett, Francisco Artigas, Soon Chun, Lubo Liu, End to End Early Warning Decision Support System for Dinking Water Safety and Security, State of New Jersey Symposium on Homeland Security Research, October 29, 2003, Busch Campus Center, Rutgers University
· Vijay Atluri, Kirk Barrett, Francisco Artigas, Soon Chun, Lubo Liu, Interconnected Municipal Information for Home Land Security, State of New Jersey Symposium on Homeland Security Research October 29, 2003, Busch Campus Center, Rutgers University
· R.K. Goel, Lubo Liu, Joseph R.V. Flora and Michael E. Meadows, October 2002, “Electrolytic Aeration of Anoxic Groundwater- A Lab Scale Study and Modeling of the Process”, the Annual International Conference on Contaminated Soils, Sediments and Water.
· Lubo Liu, Joseph R.V. Flora and C. Marjorie Aelion, “Sensitivity Analysis of Encapsulated Buffer Performance in Soil Column”, proceedings of a special joint conference of Universities Council on Water Resources (UCOWR), Environmental & Water Resources Institute of ASCE (EWRI), U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Institute for Water Resources (CEIWR), and National Ground Water Association (NGWA), pp 25-32, July 2002.
· Lubo Liu and Joseph R.V. Flora, November 2000, “Modeling the Zone of Influence of Delivery Wells with the Electrolytic Cells Used to Enhance Remediation”, The second annual South Carolina Water and Environment Symposium, pp 45-46.
· Wang, G.Q, Ran Qihua, Liu Lubo, 1999, “Computer Simulation of Evolution of wind-blown ripples”, River Sedimentation-theory and Applications, Proceedings of the seventh international symposium of river sedimentation/Hong Kong/China16-18 December 1998, Edited by Jayawardena, A.W., Lee, J.H.W., Wang, Z.Y., Balkema, Rotterdam, ISBN 90 5809 034 5.
American Water Resources Association (AWRA)
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
Water Environment Federation (WEF)
Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professor (AEESP)
Marine Technology Society (MTS)