Math 151 Home Page and Selected Course Materials - Fall 2003

Note: This is an archived page. Many of the materials from this course are no longer on the web. Some of the links will not work. For the current courses I am teaching, please see my home page.

Click here to go to the syllabus. NOTE: If updates to the syllabus become necessary, I will announce any changes in class. These changes override any information contained in the above syllabus. You are responsible for obtaining the most up-to-date information.

Some links on this page are in ".pdf" format. In order to view and print them, you will need a pdf viewer such as Adobe Acrobat Reader. Most Fresno State computers have it. To get a free copy, click here. If you are having difficulty downloading the documents, it sometimes helps to save the files to disk and then open them in your .pdf reader rather than having the browser open them for you. Please let me know if you have any trouble reading them.

Homework Solutions (pdf) Quiz and Exam Solutions and Handouts (pdf)
Homework 1 (1.1) Quiz 1
Homework 2 (1.2) Midterm I
Homework 3 (1.3, 1.4) Quiz 2
Homework 4 (2.1, 2.2) Midterm II
Homework 5 (2.3) Review sheet (Chapters 4 and 5)
Homework 6 (3.1, 3.2) Quiz 3 (coming soon)
Homework 7 (3.3, 3.4)  
Homework 8 (3.5, 3.6, matrix assignment)
Homework 9 (3.7)
Homework 10 (3.8)
Homework 11 (4.1, 4.2)
Homework 12 (4.3, 5.1-5.3)

News and Notes [Skip to new postings]

• 8/18: The secret quote for the course is, "Imitation does not imply understanding."
  • 9/2: Comments and selected solutions to the first homework assignment are available above.
  • 9/2: By popular request I am changing my office hours. My new office hours are:
    • Wednesdays and Fridays, 2:15-3:15pm
    • Thursdays, 2:00-4:00pm
    • Fridays, 10:40-11:40am
    To summarize the changes: I no longer have office hours on Mondays. My Wednesday office hours are now in the afternoon. And I have added a Friday office hour in the afternoon. You may see a block layout of this information by going to my schedule.
  • 9/17: Due to a schedule conflict I must reschedule my office hours for this Thursday only. They will be from 9:30 to 11:30am. Thank you for your understanding.
  • 9/17: A partial homework list is now available online. It shows all the assignments we have had so far, with due dates. It will be updated periodically with additional sections as the term progresses. Click here to read.
  • 9/19: ( 9/24) A reminder that there will be a QUIZ on Friday, September 26 during the last 20 minutes of class. The quiz will be 3 short questions. One of the questions will ask you to state a definition or theorem, one will be a computation, and one will be a proof. The proof will be very straight-forward if you've done the homework and remember the important results. The purpose of the quiz is to get you warmed up and ready for the first MIDTERM (see below). You will have 20 minutes to do the quiz.
  • 9/19: We will have our first MIDTERM in class on Friday, October 3. You will have the entire class to do the midterm. Both the quiz and the midterm will cover Chapters 1 and 2 of the text (1.1 through 2.3).
  • 9/28: Based on the results of last week's quiz, it appears that many of you have a long way to go to get ready for the midterm this Friday. I want to help you in this process as much as I can. Therefore I will be holding special office hours on Monday, September 29 after class, 10:40-11:40am and in the afternoon, 2:15-3:15pm. If you scored 11 (the median) or less on the quiz, I highly recommend that you come to one or both of these sessions to discuss your plans for passing the midterm and to clear up any conceptual difficulties you are still having.
  • 11/4: There was a mistake in the numbering of the homework solutions, above. It has now been fixed. I am working on the remaining solutions. Keep checking back!
  • 11/4: A reminder that there will be a QUIZ tomorrow during the last 20 minutes of class. The quiz will be 3 short questions. One of the questions will ask you to state a definition or theorem, one will be a computation, and one will be a proof. The proof will be very straight-forward if you've done the homework and remember the important results. The purpose of the quiz is to get you warmed up and ready for the second MIDTERM (see below). You will have 20 minutes to do the quiz.
  • 11/4: Our second MIDTERM will be given in class on Friday, November 14. You will have the entire class to do the midterm. Both the quiz and the midterm will cover Chapter 3 of the text (3.1 through 3.8).
  • 11/10: I have posted the solutions to HW 9 (Section 3.7) above. I am working on the rest of the solutions and should have them posted by the end of the day today.
  • 11/10: All the HW's through Section 3.7 have now been posted (Whew! It took longer to figure out how to make that lattice of subgroups than I thought!). I am still working on the solutions to Quiz 2 and HW 10 (Section 3.8), but I should have those up by Wednesday morning. Thanks for your patience, and good luck studying for the midterm! I'm rooting for you!
  • 11/10: The solutions to Quiz 2 and HW 10 are now available above.
  • 11/21: The solutions to Midterm II are now available above.
  • 11/21: The homework list is now complete, and shows all the assignments for the term.
  • 11/21: VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE! Looking at the syllabus, I realized I had originally scheduled the last QUIZ for the Wednesday after Thanksgiving. This seems cruel and unusual given that I have also assigned four sections of HW to be due that week as well. Therefore I have postponed the quiz until the following week. The quiz will be on the last day of class, Wednesday, December 10. Please let me know if you have any questions. The quiz will cover Chapters 4 and 5, except sections 4.4 and 5.4.
  • 12/3: The solutions for Homework 11 are now posted above.
  • 12/3: By request, the deadline for the last homework has been extended to Monday, December 8. Please turn in whatever you have finished on Friday, so I can get started grading over the weekend. Then, feel free to turn in the rest on Monday, without penalty.
  • 12/6: I have prepared a review sheet for some of the material in Chapters 4 and 5, which is available above. I will also pass out copies in class.
  • 12/15: The quizzes and HW's are graded, so you can pick them up in my office. I will be there tomorrow (Tuesday) from 9:30-11:30am.
  • 12/15: Partial solutions to the last HW are available above. I will add more later today. Also check back for solutions to the quiz.
  • 12/15: I have added solutions to selected problems from Section 5.3 to the homework solutions, above.

Home Page

Contact me
Last updated 12/15/2003