Math 90 Home Page and Selected Course Materials

Note:This is an archived page. Many of the materials from this course are no longer on the web. Some of the links will not work. For the current courses I am teaching, please see my home page.
Some links on this page are in ".pdf" format. In order to view and print them, you will need a pdf viewer such as Adobe Acrobat Reader. Most Fresno State computers have it. To get a free copy, click here. If you are having difficulty downloading the documents, it sometimes helps to save the files to disk and then open them in your .pdf reader rather than having the browser open them for you. Please let me know if you have any trouble reading them.
Click here to go to the syllabus. NOTE: If updates to the syllabus become necessary, I will announce any changes in class. These changes override any information contained in the above syllabus. You are responsible for obtaining the most up-to-date information.

Worksheet and Quiz Solutions Exam and Practice Exam Solutions
Worksheet W1 (pdf) Practice Midterm I (pdf)
Worksheet W1 Solutions (pdf) Practice Midterm I Solutions (pdf)
Quiz 1 solutions (pdf)      (blue)      (green) Midterm I solutions (pdf)      (blue)      (green)
Quiz 2 solutions (pdf)      (green)      (yellow) Practice Midterm II (pdf)
Quiz 3 solutions (pdf)      (pink)      (yellow) Practice Midterm II Solutions (pdf)
Bonus Assignment solutions (pdf) Practice Midterm III (pdf)
  Practice Midterm III Solutions (pdf)
Midterm III solutions (pdf)      (pink)      (blue)

News and Notes [Skip to new postings]

• 8/18: The secret quote for the syllabus quiz is, "Imitation does not equal understanding."
  • 9/2: By popular request I am changing my office hours. My new office hours are:
    • Wednesdays and Fridays, 2:15-3:15pm
    • Thursdays, 2:00-4:00pm
    • Fridays, 10:40-11:40am
    To summarize the changes: I no longer have office hours on Mondays. My Wednesday office hours are now in the afternoon. And I have added a Friday office hour in the afternoon. You may see a block layout of this information by going to my schedule.
  • 9/15: A number of students have asked about the class calculator policy. I have added a statement to the syllabus about it. Click here to read.
  • 9/15: Due to a schedule conflict I must reschedule my office hours for this Thursday only. They will be from 9:30 to 11:30am. Thank you for your understanding.
  • 9/15: The homework list passed out in class is now available online. It has been updated with correct due dates. It will be updated periodically with additional sections as the term progresses. Click here to read.
  • 9/19: Don't forget that our first MIDTERM is next Friday, September 26! It will cover Sections 2-A through 3-B of Ebersole, 1.1 and 1.3 of Stewart, and Worksheet W1. I have posted solutions to the worksheet above. Please check the solutions to make sure you did all the problems correctly!
  • 9/21: You should also check out the solutions to the first two quizzes and the practice midterm, with solutions, above. I will pass out a copy of the practice midterm in class, but you must download the solutions from this web page. It is highly recommended that you complete the practice midterm under test conditions (no notes or calculators, in 50 minutes or less) in order to see clearly what you still have to work on. Then grade your test using the solutions. Please see me if there is anything in the solutions that you do not understand. Practice makes perfect, so practice, practice, practice!!
  • 10/23: Due to my absence on Monday, the quiz this week has been postponed until Friday, October 24. It will be in our regular classroom, during the first 10 minutes of class, so don't be late!
  • 10/27: Don't forget that the second MIDTERM is this Friday, October 31! It will cover Sections 4-A through 7-B of Ebersole and Sections 2.1 through 3.2 of Stewart. I have posted solutions to the practice midterm above. It is highly recommended that you complete the practice midterm under test conditions (no notes or calculators, in 50 minutes or less) in order to see clearly what you still have to work on. Then grade your test using the solutions. Please see me if there is anything in the solutions that you do not understand. Practice makes perfect, so practice, practice, practice!!
  • 10/27: I will be posting solutions to the last three quizzes shortly. Please keep checking back for those.
  • 10/27: I have updated the online homework list. It has been updated with correct due dates. Click here to read.
  • 10/27: A number of students have asked about grades. I will be posting current grades after Friday's midterm has been graded. However, if you wish to see how you are doing before then (indeed, any time during the term), please do not hesitate to come talk to me.
  • 11/24: I have updated the online homework list. It is now complete for the term. Click here to read.
  • 11/24: Ooops! I accidentally had the last few sections of the homework due on our midterm day. The deadline for sections Ch. 10, 11-A, 11-B, and Ch. 11 of Ebersole and section 3.9 of Stewart is now December 10. If you picked up the HW before 5pm, please update the deadline for those sections.
  • 11/24: As mentioned above, our last MIDTERM will be on Friday, December 5. It will cover Chapters 8-10 of Ebersole and sections 3.3-3.8 of Stewart. Please study over the break!
  • 11/26: There is now a practice midterm available above. I will also pass out copies in class on Monday.
  • 11/26: Some students have asked me, "What should I do to prepare for the exams?" Here are some tips for success on the midterm:
    • Before the exam (as soon as possible!):
      • Go over anything you missed on the quizzes and homework.
      • Do lots of practice problems from the text.
      • Make up practice problems and do them.
      • Did I mention that practicing is a good idea?
      • Do the practice exam under test conditions (in 50 minutes or less, with no notes and no calculator!). The actual exam may be shorter than the practice, so if you can complete the practice accurately in 50 minutes, you should not be in a hurry for the actual test.
      • If you are unsure about anything at all, make time to come see me.
      • Remember that understanding your notes is not enough; you must be good at doing problems you have not seen before, with no notes. So practice, practice, practice!
    • During the exam:
      • You do not have to do the problems in order. Skim through the test and do the easy ones first.
      • Do not panic so much that you don't give yourself time to read the questions carefully. If you have followed the pre-exam advice, there shouldn't be any major surprises. If the phrasing of a question seems different from what you are used to, read the question slowly several times. If you are not sure what a question is asking, raise your hand.
      • Be sure to give yourself enough time to check your answers. If an answer doesn't seem to make sense, but you don't have time to fix it, write a note explaining why you think there is a problem. Do everything you can to convince me you know the material.
    I hope this helps! Good luck!
  • 12/1: The solutions to the Bonus Assignment and the Practice Midterm are now available above. Please go over them!
  • 12/3: Ooops! There was a typo on the link to the solutions to the Practice Midterm. It has now been fixed. Sorry about that!
  • 12/14: The solutions to Midterm III are now available above. Please go over them!
  • 12/14: The most recent grades are posted outside my office. Please come check them to make sure all my records are correct.
  • 12/14: It's been a great semester. Good luck on the final, and I will see you next term!

Dr. Byler's Home Page
Contact me
Last updated 12/14/2003