PSci 21 Elementary Astronomy - 2016 Fall
E-mail: ringwald[at]csufresno.edu and
replace [at] with @
Phone: (559) 278-8426 |
Also: (559) 278-2371
Office: McLane Hall J-wing Room 11 (near the ground-floor Women's
Room and east of McLane 161)
Office hours (between August 22 and December 8): MWTh 3:30-5:20
If students need to see Professor Ringwald outside office hours,
please call or e-mail first.
You don't need an appointment to come in during office hours.
This is time set aside for students, when Professor Ringwald will be
You can get homework help, free tutoring, or review sessions
before exams, personalized just for you.
Please feel free to contact me, if you have any problems whatsoever in
this course: or if you're doing well, and just want to talk about the
wonders and mysteries of the Universe. It's in my interest, and I care,
that you do well!
News, updated 2016 August 23:
- Welcome to PSci 21!
There are open seats in PSci 21, so just register normally. If you need
permission numbers, see Margarita, Bibiana, or Ty, the physics
department secretaries in McLane 173, M-Th from 8 a.m. to noon and 1-5
p.m. and F 8 a.m. to noon.
- Handouts on the first day of class include:
- The PSci 21 Course Syllabus for 2016 Fall semester (several pages:
please read carefully)
- A Summary of Rules (from the syllabus) (one double-sided page)
- Six skills to learn in collge / How to write e-mail to a professor
- A copy of this web page
- Read, by Wednesday, August 31:
- Chapters 1, 2, and 3 of Astronomy for Beginners,
- The entire PSci 21 Course Syllabus (which was handed out on Monday).
- Homework 1 (the Math Exercise), on pages A3-A4 of the (solar
yellow) PSci 21 Class Notes (also handed out on Monday), will be due
in class as a paper copy during the first five minutes
of class on Friday, September 9.
Sorry, but no late work will be
- IMPORTANT: Replace the (solar yellow) PSci 21 Class Notes
(handed out on Monday) with the ones being handed out now, since page A2
did not copy.
- You can get help with Homework 1 from me during my office hours
(MWTh 3:30-5:20 p.m. in McLane Hall J-wing Room 11) and from the
Learning Center in the basement of Madden Library.
The Learning Center can provide free tutoring in PSci 21 at these times:
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays,
- 4 to 7 p.m. on Wednesdays also, by PSci 21 lab instructor Jimmy
- 10 a.m to 3 p.m. on Fridays.
Any of the tutors who can help with Phys 2A can help with PSci 21.
- PSci 21 labs will begin on Monday, 9/12, or Tuesday, 9/13, or
Wednesday, 9/14. Meet at the regular lab times (5:30 or 7:30 p.m.) in the
lab classrooms (McLane 258 or 264) and do: Lab 1: Star Names, Maps,
- Be sure to be registered for a lab, in addition to the lecture
section we're in now. Pick one lab and go to it only: don't hop from lab
to lab, since lab instructors can't record your grades accurately that
Professor Ringwald's home page
Web page by Professor Ringwald (ringwald[at]csufresno.edu and
replace [at] with @)
Department of Physics,
California State University, Fresno . Please read this disclaimer.