Math 75B Home Page and Selected Course Materials

Note:This is an archived page. Many of the materials from this course are no longer on the web. Some of the links will not work. For the current courses I am teaching, please see my home page.
Some links on this page are in ".pdf" format. In order to view and print them, you will need a pdf viewer such as Adobe Acrobat Reader. Most Fresno State computers have it. To get a free copy, click here. If you are having difficulty downloading the documents, it sometimes helps to save the files to disk and then open them in your .pdf reader rather than having the browser open them for you. Please let me know if you have any trouble reading them.
Click here to go to the syllabus. All the policies and procedures from fall term still apply, as of January 20, except as noted below. NOTE: If other updates to the syllabus become necessary, I will announce any changes in class. These changes override any information contained in the above syllabus. You are responsible for obtaining the most up-to-date information.

Useful links
the University's academic calendar
My office hours for this term
Homework List (complete)
Mathematica instructions
Lecture Notes (pdf)
4.10 6.1 (1)
5.1 (1) 6.1 (2)
5.1 (2) 6.2 (1)
5.2 6.2 (2)
5.3 6.3
5.4 6.4
5.5 6.5
Worksheets (pdf)
Horizontal Asymptotes Worksheet
"The Awful Truth" Worksheet
Exams and Practice Exams (pdf)
Practice Midterm I
Practice Midterm I Solutions (corrected 3/3)
Practice Midterm II
Practice Midterm II Solutions (corrected)
Practice Midterm III
Practice Midterm III Solutions (corrected 5/13)
Practice Final
Practice Final Solutions

News and Notes [Skip to new postings]

• 1/20: The secret quote for this semester is, "Be here now." Your interpretation of this quote should be, "Come to class every single day." Last term there was a huge problem with attendance. Therefore this term I will be taking attendance every day. If you are late you will be considered absent for the day. Your attendance will directly affect your effort/participation/attendance grade. There are no excuses accepted for non-attendance, except for those who have already discussed a class conflict with me. If you feel you will be missing a significant number of classes for some other reason, please come see me to discuss your plans for passing the course.
  • 1/20: As announced in class last term, anyone who did not receive a grade of C or better in Math 90 will not be allowed to continue this term. If you received a grade of D or F, and you are currently enrolled, you are expected to drop by the end of the first full week of classes. Otherwise, an administrative drop will be processed for you.
  • 1/21: All of the web pages for this term should now be up and running. Please read them over to remind yourself of the policies and to see what's new, including office hours, midterm dates, and what we will be covering this term. If you find any errors or links not working, please let me know.
  • 2/23: As announced in class we are having our first MIDTERM on Friday, March 5. That's 11 days from today! It will cover sections 3.10 through 4.9 of Stewart (excluding sections 4.6 and 4.8, which we will not be covering in this course), as well as Chapters 12, 16, and 17 of Ebersole. I will provide some kind of practice exam and/or sample problems soon, but it is not too early to start reviewing now! Specifically, you should go over all your old quizzes and HW and understand everything you missed, as well as remind yourself of what you got right. And, as always, you should PRACTICE!!! as many problems as you can, without notes or calculator, working carefully to avoid errors. Practicing increases the speed at which you are able to do problems accurately, a necessary skill for the test! You should especially practice
    • Max-min problems (section 4.7)
    • "Putting it all together" (finding asymptotes, intercepts, increasing/decreasing, concavity, symmetry of a function) to make an accurate graph (section 4.5)
    • Using Rolle's Theorem in a proof by contradiction (section 4.2 - we have not finished covering this in class as of today)
    You may certainly expect to see problems of these types on the test, as well as others.
  • 2/23: The homework list has been updated. It shows all due dates through section 4.9, and all assignments through Chapter 5 (Stewart) and Chapter 20 (Ebersole).
  • 2/25: A practice midterm (pdf) is now available here. I will also pass out a copy in class. Watch for solutions coming soon!
  • 2/29: The solutions (pdf) to the practice midterm are now available. Please complete the practice exam under test conditions (no notes, no calculator) before checking solutions.

Class on Thursday will be devoted to review questions. The time will be most efficiently spent if you have studied the solutions to the practice midterm carefully beforehand. That way I can merely clarify parts of the solutions you do not understand, rather than having to go over whole problems and run out of time.

• 2/29: Due to several scheduling issues, as well as the fact that there is no homework due on Friday, my office hours this week will be:
    • Monday 11-11:30
    • Wednesday 2:30-3:55
    • Thursday 10-11:30, 2:30-3:00
    • Friday by appointment only.
    I will also announce this information in class and post it outside my door. As always, please see me if you can't make any of the above times or for any other reason need to make an appointment.
  • 3/1: I have made lecture notes for the last two chapters of the term (from Stewart) available above. Please feel free to download these notes, study them, and bring them to class on the day(s) that those sections are covered. It will make the topics a lot easier to understand!
  • 3/3: Thanks to those of you who pointed out the error in the solutions to the practice midterm (Work and Answer #5). It has now been corrected, and you can download a corrected version above.
  • 3/15: The homework list has been updated. It shows all due dates through Friday, March 19.
  • 3/21: The homework list has been updated. It shows all due dates through Friday, March 26. There will be no homework due the week of March 29, due to Cesar Chavez day on Wednesday and our MIDTERM on Friday (see below).
  • 3/21: As announced in class, don't forget that our second MIDTERM will be on Friday, April 2. That's the day before spring break starts. Don't leave early! The midterm will cover sections 4.10 through 5.5 of Stewart, as well as Chapters 18-20 of Ebersole. I will provide some kind of practice exam and/or sample problems soon, but it is not too early to start reviewing now! Specifically, you should go over all your old quizzes and HW and understand everything you missed, as well as remind yourself of what you got right. And, as always, you should PRACTICE!!! as many problems as you can, without notes or calculator, working carefully to avoid errors. Practicing increases the speed at which you are able to do problems accurately, a necessary skill for the test! You should especially practice
    • Estimation using rectangles (section 5.1)
    • Summation ("Sigma") notation (section 19-A)
    • The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, Part 1 similar to the worksheet we did in class on Thursday, March 18 (section 5.3 (2))
    • u-substitution with definite integrals (section 5.5 (2) - we have not finished covering this in class as of today)
    You may certainly expect to see problems of these types on the test, as well as others.
  • 3/26: The practice midterm (pdf) is now available here. I will also pass out copies in class. Watch for solutions online soon!
  • 3/26: The solutions are now available. See above.
  • 4/1: Oops! My typo for this practice midterm was on True-False #4. The solutions have now been corrected, and you can download the corrected version above.
  • 4/12: The homework list has been updated. It shows all assignments for the rest of the term and due dates through Friday, April 16. Please note that the QUIZ this Thursday will cover section 6.1 (Stewart), though the HW for this section will not be due until Friday.
  • 4/14: There is an error in the homework assignment for section 20-D: you only have to do parts (b) and (d) of each problem. The homework list has been corrected. Sorry for the confusion!
  • 4/14: As announced in class we will be doing a Mathematica lab in class tomorrow after the quiz. Please bring a 100-megabyte (100MB) Zip disk, formatted for Mac or willing to be reformatted (all data on the disk is lost in the reformatting process), if you have one. If not, don't worry; you will be able to email yourself the file you create in an attachment. You will not be able to save your work on the computers themselves. The first assignment will be due on Wednesday, April 21 at 5:00pm. All details will be given in class.
  • 4/15: See the link above for Mathematica FAQ.
  • 4/21: The Mathematica instructions have been updated. In particular, emailing yourself Mathematica files has not been successful and is no longer recommended.
  • 5/4: The practice midterm that was passed out in class is now available here, along with the solutions. See above.
  • 5/10: There is a practice final available above. I will also pass out copies in class.
  • 5/10: Please reread the section of the syllabus on final exams. It gives the day and time for your final exam, and the policy on taking the final at a different time. There can be no exceptions to this policy.
  • 5/10: My consultation hours will be on Friday, May 14 from 12 to 2 in our regular classroom (SR 6-10). There will be no office hours on Thursday or Friday. My office hours next week (finals week) will be Monday and Wednesday from 11 to 12:30.
  • 5/13: The solutions to the practice final are done! You can download them above.
  • 5/13: The grades through Midterm III are now posted outside my office. Please take a look at them and make sure there are no errors. I will also bring a summary of your current grade to consultation hours tomorrow (Friday). Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
  • 5/13: The solutions for Practice Midterm III have now been corrected and are available above.

Dr. Byler's Home Page
Contact me
Last updated 5/13/2004